Sunday, September 20, 2009

One Step...



Taking One Small Step

by Jim Donovan

I have this crazy idea about failure...

Failure simply teaches you how NOT to do something.

When you look at it closely, it is truly nothing more than this. Failure is simply a great teacher.
Learning to overcome this fear and live in your true purpose is sure-fire way to positively transform your entire life.

But what can you do right now to overcome the fear of failing?

Here is another exercise I give to my students...maybe it will be helpful for you too..

Start here:
I'd like you to identify one thing that you know you want in your life very much.
Something that the fear of failing is holding you back from doing or having.

1. Write out what the fear is.
2. Tell me about one small step that you could do that would move you closer to what you want.
3. Take this small step.
4. Write about your experience.


Enter this in comment below if you'd like...
Feel free to comment on each others comments.
We're all here together.

6 comments:

  1. I want a gig on a cruise line.
    The fear is auditioning, being able to catch all the figures and kicks good enough to get the gig.
    I could and HAVE been working with different figures and set ups
    but I feel I need more work and time to get my self to feel, OK Im ready!
    However there is no more time, procrastination must end! I must audition tomorrow before it's to late! On camera with no editing, and not a clue as to what I will find in the music because, you can not open the envelope and see or hear the charts until the camera is running, nerve racking this can be.
    With the time I did take to study, observe and listen to figures and set ups, in the last couple of days, I feel Im in much better shape, then if I had not done this. I will audition tomorrow, god or bad, its all part the journey!
    William F

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent step William, let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds so exciting (and like loads of fun)! All the best to you and I, too, would love to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the positive feed back, I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid to take my cello playing to the next level-- as weird as that may sound. I'm a sophomore in a conservatory and am recovering from an injury due to cello. I hardly played last year and am having a hard time getting out of the "injured musician" mentality. I know that it is time to take my practicing and playing to the next level, but I'm afraid to fail.
    One step that I think will move me closer to putting in the effort (and still loving cello) would be meditation. Every time I meditate, I feel soo much more clear, calm, and joyful. For some reason, maybe the hectic college environment, I dont' feel that I find enough time for my meditations! It's time to take the step! Not only do I believe that it will motivate me to practice more efficiently and more often, but I belive it will give me clearer direction and purpose.
    thanks for giving me the space to get this out!
    <3

    ReplyDelete